1. Full Name: Verronika Christine Hinz
2. Do you have a nickname? "V"
3. How young are you? 29
4. "Crossfitting" since: 2012
5. What brought you to CrossFit Inland Valley?
I had been wanting to try Crossfit for a while, but was too intimidated at first. When I finally came in, I learned how scalable the WODs were, and I loved the sense of community among the members. I was instantly hooked!
6. What's your athletic/fitness background?
I never had any extensive experience in one sport, but I have always been active - I did gymnastics when I was little, played on the volleyball and girls’ football teams in Jr. High, and did Colorguard in High School. I tried a couple of different fitness classes at the student rec center in college, then I finally started CrossFit in 2012.
7. What's your favorite WOD?
Either Grace or Fight Gone Bad. I like the shorter, more intense WODs
8. What's your favorite movement or lift?
I always have fun practicing handstands, and my favorite lift is the deadlift.
9. What's your most feared WOD?
Chippers and WODs with a lot of running are difficult for me. I really need to work on my endurance.
10. . We know that you have been part of our Family for a little while, not too long ago, Andrew came in the picture. Did you workout while you were expecting him?
Yes! I had to scale a lot, and even substitute some of the movements as I grew, but I stayed active for as long as my body would allow (until about 7 months along).
11. If yes, how did you feel while you were taking classes while pregnant?
I loved that I was able to stay active and participate in something that had become a part of my daily routine, but it was also frustrating at times because I wasn’t able to push myself as much. My biggest challenge was coming back AFTER I had Andrew because it felt like I had to start all over again - I probably wouldn’t have stuck with it if it wasn’t for the support of the coaches and the other moms 😊
12. How’s your diet/nutrition?
Nutrition is one of the things I struggle with the most in my overall health and fitness. I would probably be a lot better off if I could be as consistent with my nutrition as I am with my workouts.
13. What’s your favorite “cheat meal”?
Wine and chocolate. That’s a meal, right??
14. What do you like to do on your time off?
Go camping with friends and family.
15. What’s your fitness goal? What would you like to accomplish with CrossFit?
One of my goals is to improve my endurance because I know it is one of my biggest weaknesses. Overall, I would like to be fit and healthy to be a good example for my son.
16. Do you have any advice for a new member trying CrossFit for the first time?
Keep a journal from day one!!! It’s amazing to see how much you can accomplish over time.
17. Do you have a CrossFit story to share with us? Something that happened during a WOD or a class that you will always remember?
I’ll never forget the time I busted my shin open during box jumps, but that wasn’t even my most memorable CrossFit experience. I’ve never been a great runner, but I thought a good way to improve my endurance would be to run/jog to the gym instead of driving one Saturday morning. I left early enough to give myself an hour to go about four miles, and I was so excited that I made it to the gym early. As I watched the coach write the WOD on the board (which they don’t post online for Saturdays), I almost died when I saw that it involved several rounds of sprints.
Verronika, you are an inspiration to all of us, keep up the great work!!!